Monday, December 21, 2009

'Twas a few days before Christmas...

...and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even my spouse.

The stockings are absent, not hung with care, 'cuz Santa doesn't visit when no children live there.

The cats were all snug in their little pet beds, visions of pouncing dancing in their heads.

And us in our PJ's, not a matching set, had settled in for Lost reruns watched on the net.

When out in the store's, there is such a clatter. That sometimes we forget that we even matter.

Away in a window people are having a bash, maybe even later we'll take out the trash.

The moon glows outside on the new fallen snow, clean and untouched by children's hands below.

When all of the sudden depression creeps in, and makes you just realize what could have been.

With a little old sob and a big old kick, you aren't sure this is the life you would have picked.

No children to shriek with gleeful delight, no children to quiet on Christmas Eve night.
And laying 3 presents under our tree, I can't help but ask the question why me?

Tears spring to my eyes, but I remember the reason, the true reason for this wintery season.

So I heard myself exclaim as I turned out the light, "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight."

--Written by me, adapted from 'Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment